Tuesday 5 May 2009

art writing

To Decay, to break down into component parts, to disintegrate diminish. The changing of something over – a non spatial continuum in which events occur in apparently irreversible succession from the past through the present to the future (time), an interval separating 2 points in this continuum. A duration. A large portion of my work is focused on the passing of time, represented through the use of, and how decay can represent this.
Layers are important in my work, not only layers of meaning, but physical layers of materials. I find this gives depth to my work and helps to produce an atmosphere. This use of layering produces texture which I find helps me to explore the aesthetic qualities of decay itself. To break down into component parts. Disintegrate, diminish, disintegrate. Revisiting previous ideas and makes a different decision is a large, is the main way in which I progress.
Experimenting. Trying something new in order to gain experience. The trying out of a new idea to gain experience. The trying out of a new idea or method. Testing. Error and trial. Is another way in which I learn. Learning new techniques, methods, helps me to further my work.
Overall I would say my work is about change. Change, changing, changed. Metamorphism. To go from one place to another, as the moon or the season. The earth rotates, sun, moon and stars move across the sky at a regular pace which gives is the length of day. Over billions of years the rotation slows, lengthening the day. The moon pulls the water, a tidal bulge is formed, as the earth spins friction between the earth and the water causes this rotation to slow. Research feeds my work, helping me to understand the subject I am currently interested in.

No comments: